This is one of my grand kids. He deserves a change to achieve his destiny.
Dear Mr. Obama,You are a talented man, and unlike most politicians, you probably aren't obsessed with the need to be re-elected to keep your self image intact. You are young, brilliant, financially secure, you have a creative and active life ahead, whether you are President or not.
But I would like, on behalf of my grand kids, my family, and millions of American, to ask you, to do just a few more things while you are President. Things that will make the world, history, your legacy and most Americans, appreciate you.
President Obama, my 86 year old mother has lived through depressions, wars, sickness and death. As a widow her annual cash flow has dropped from $80,000 per year, to $11,000 per year. She called me a few months ago, and said she was worried that she might not have enough to live on,to pay her bills. This woman has been a great citizen, paid her taxes, and been loyal to the United States. She has given this nation enough cotton production for thousands of clothes, enough cattle to feed a small city, hired workers, built homes and lived a good life. Now her world, this economy is squeezing her last savings from her. We need you, Mr. President to do a few things for us.
1. Bring our sons and daughters home. They should never have been sent. The cost in blood and treasure has been far too high. Bring them home for their parents, children, and for our nation. We will love you for this.
2. Make the banks loan money again. You and George W. Bush loaned money to those at the top levels of our society to "save the economy". You saved "their economy" and even enriched them. The money did not trickle down, jobs have not come to us, the banks hoarded the money while some even profited by it, and the middle class and small business people of the USA, the people who create the foundation for economic growth, have been devastated financially. Make the banks lend to small business again. It is the only way to create jobs. China is booming again, because they made the banks lend money. Germany is booming, the banks lent money to small business. Bankers are hoarding their (our) money and profiting by this recession.
3. Do things compassionate, kind, and broad minded for the American people. We do not wish to hear anything about the "bad" guys on the other side. We do want to see rich examples of generosity, kindness, and integrity. We don't want charity or a hand out. We simply want you to create the opportunity for us to work and achieve our destiny.
4. Please look at the areas of bankruptcy law. The result of this law in place, simply protects the rich and powerful companies that brought us to this financial crisis. It is in place to protect the very ones who have caused the financial crisis, and to destroy the millions of working Americans, who have lost jobs or income because of the "big boys" manipulations and corruption. The bankruptcy laws as now written protects the big boys, and punishes those who have been run over.
5. Please look at ACH and the Credit Card system. In spite of the new laws, credit card companies are still abusing the public. They lower loan limits, causing credit scores to artificially drop, creating a cascade of other companies to do the same, until a person, or small business, because of one or two minor mistakes can find himself in ruin and buried under a sea of debt and lawsuits that are simply unfair and wrong. The current credit card laws, and the unregulated ACH system can literally rip funds out of a person's checking accounts without any permission or regulation. They, as my local banker said: "Are evil systems."
6. Just give us a chance! I was in Nepal a few years ago, and two little boys offered to take us to the top of an observation spot to see the Himalayas'. They wanted to make a dollar. One of the children said: "Just give us a chance!" Mr. President, just give us a chance to work, and fulfill our destiny. Just give us a chance to raise our children respectfully and with dignity, and to be able to send them to college. Just give us a chance Mr. Obama.
7. Help us when we are sick and down. If you can devise an emergency lending or capitalization program to help us through sickness and bad economic times, we will work hard and we will pay the money back. But with no sources of credit, credit card companies closing our lines, banks refusing to lend, the government must come up with some kind of emergency loan or capitalization to help us get back going. Roosevelt helped people to find work during the depression, we are asking you to help us have opportunity. You did it for the big boys. How about putting in a program to help us clear out the weights of horrible unfair debt, credit card companies charging us 29%, because the lost our jobs, due to no fault of our own. Help us when we are sick and down, and we will repay, 100 times over by being productive, gainfully employed, taxpayers and citizens.
If you can do these 7 things, Mr. Obama, before you move on to the next phase of your life, we would be so thankful.
Ben B. Boothe Sr., speaking for the people.